Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 to AOKP Ice Cream Sandwich via Black Infinitum ROM
There are already a lot of custom ROMs for the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. The phone is considered one of the favorites of independent developers. The device really is one of the best on the market if you talk of heavy specs and great style.
Just recently, a new ROM called Black Infinitum was released for the Galaxy S2. The ROM is based on the Android Open Kang Project and brings a customized version of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich to the Galaxy S2.
The ROM makes the device look very classy with its all-black motif which is made even more attractive to the eyes with the phone’s Super AMOLED Plus display.
On the other hand, aside from the stylish and cool appearance that the ROM adds to the device, the black theme is also said to let the device save more power, unlike bright-colored themes that consume more battery power.
When you install this ROM you not only get the amazing and great deep black theme but also the amazing functionality that Ice Cream Sandwich brings. If you are interested in installing this on your Galaxy S2, check out the list of requirements and then follow the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 — rooted and with ClockworkMod Recovery. See our guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
- Make a back up of all your important files, contacts, SMS, call logs, and Internet settings.
- Charge your device to at least 50% battery power.
- Download the latest version of Black Infinitum (version 0.6.3, as of this writing). Grab the ROM here.
- Download the GApps (Google Apps) package from here.
NOTE: Use this guide at your own risk. We will not be held liable for any damage on your device as a result of using this guide.
Here’s how to install the Black Infinitum AOKP custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
- Download the Black Infinitum ROM and the GApps packages from the links provided above.
- Copy both ZIP files to your phone’s internal SD card (not inside any subfolder). You may need to connect your phone to your computer so you can copy files.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until your phone’s screen turns on. In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons for navigation, and the Power button for selection.
- In recovery, make a back up of your existing ROM just in case something goes wrong. Go to Backup and Restore then select Backup on the following screen.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Reset your phone by selecting Wipe data/factory reset from the menu. Confirm the operation on the next screen.
- From the main recovery menu, select Install zip from SD card and then choose the ROM file that you have downloaded. Confirm that you want to flash the package.
- Flash the GApps package by repeating step 8, but this time choose the GApps package.
- Select Go back and then reboot your phone by selecting Reboot system now.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed the AOKP ICS-based Black Infinitum custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.