We have seen official releases of the AOKP Jelly Bean Build 1 ROM for several devices like the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 and the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and now, it is available for the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
Owners of the said device will now have the chance to experience Android 4.1 Jelly Bean features and extras from AOKP through an unofficial port of the ROM. You can expect pure stock Jelly Bean features like Google Now and a smooth-as-butter interface along with the ROM's own customization options.
This ROM is not an official release from AOKP. It is ported build for the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 and may carry a few bugs and glitches.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP Jelly Bean Build 1 ROM (unofficial).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 running on Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ Firmware and ClockworkMod Recovery installed. For help, check our guides:
- Your phone's USB cable
- Download the following files:
- latest build of AOKP Jelly Bean for the I9100 from one of the following repositories:
- GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, md5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7)
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP Jelly Bean Build 1 ROM package and the GApps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until the screen turns on.
- NOTE: You can use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an item or option in Recovery Mode.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the AOKP ROM file. Select the file and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your phone.
- Once installation of the ROM is finished, install the GApps package in the same manner as in steps 5 and 6.
- After installation of GApps, select Go back and choose Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed AOKP ROM. First boot may take up to 5-7 minutes.
Awesome! You have successfully installed the AOKP Jelly Bean Build 1 ROM to your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.