It sure is raining Jelly Bean ROMs everywhere and in the case of the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G, it just gets better and better. It looks like the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G will receive yet another Jelly Bean update, thanks to XDA Developers member neerajganga who has released an unofficial AOKP ROM. (On a side note, there is another AOKP Jelly Bean preview build by another XDA Developers member. We covered it in another post.)
The AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM for the Galaxy S2 I9100G features some of the best customization options that users can configure. Besides Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean itself, the unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean ROM by neerajganga also includes an inbuilt theme engine, a buttery smooth user interface, advanced voice recognition, offline voice typing and the popular Google Now. However, AOKP ROMs are still a work in progress and some features may not be present. Consider this ROM as a sneak peak of Jelly Bean for the GT-I9100G.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S2 I9100G to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP Jelly Bean ROM (unofficial).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100G. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G with Stock Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware and ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Check out the following guides for help:
- Download the following files:
- Pier's AOKP Jelly Bean ROM for the I9100G (aokp_i9100g_jb_pier_20120823.zip, md5sum: 210adb705f9b01120f52a8547e11665a)
- GApps (Google Apps) Package (gapps-jb-20120724-signed.zip, md5sum: bcb4f6da6a4af4f57cf803cf724938e0)
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the downloaded AOKP ROM and GApps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until recovery boots.
- NOTE: Once in recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the screen that follows to confirm data wipe.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the downloaded ROM file and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. It may take 5-10 minutes for the ROM to finish installing.
- After the ROM finishes installing, repeat step 5 but this time around select the GApps package file to install the necessary Google Applications.
- After the installation is complete, select Go back then select Reboot system now to reboot your phone. The first boot may take a couple of minutes as this will be the first time your phone boots to the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.