Are you still drooling over the Samsung Galaxy S3 but still can't spare cash to purchase the phone? Why don't you just port the Galaxy S3′s interface and let it run on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100? That way, you don't have to purchase a brand-new phone just to experience TouchWiz 5, plus all the Jelly Bean hype. After all, it's still a Samsung device and the only difference is the hardware that the phone is using.
Speaking of interface, the port is actually based on CyanogenMod 10, which, in turn, is based on AOSP Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. The ROM is known as SlimTW5 and was made by XDA
Developers member tzlooney89. SlimTW5 ROM is an exact replica of the Galaxy S3 interface with the TouchWiz 5 UI icons, background, and the TouchWiz 5 home launcher. If you're excited to try it out on your Galaxy S2, then this is your chance to do it.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via SlimTW5 ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed and running Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich XXLPQ firmware.
- For additional help, you may refer to the following guides:
- Download the following files:
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP files to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons. Your phone will boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to Mounts and Storage and select Format /data, followed by Format /system and then by Format /cache.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the downloaded SlimTW5 ROM file and select it. Confirm the installation process by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- Repeat step 5, but this time, select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the necessary Google apps on your phone.
- After the installation is finished, head back to the main menu by selecting Go back.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset.
- Select Wipe cache partition.
- Go to Advanced and select Fix permissions.
- Reboot your phone by selecting Reboot system now.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the SlimTW5 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.