Samsung’s TouchWiz UI has been iconic to the company’s success in many of its mobile phones. Fans of the famed launcher will have more reasons to celebrate as the TouchWiz UX launcher from the Galaxy S3 has now been ported to run on the Galaxy S2, thanks to XDA Developers member Smando.
The new TouchWiz UX launcher that was first seen on the Galaxy S3 sports numerous features such as sorting apps alphabetically in a grid, choosing a default homescreen, S Voice communication, the ability to watch a video picture-in-picture, and many other features. Not only that, the latest TouchWiz UX launcher will work on Samsung official ROMs and on custom ROMs like AOSP, AOKP, and CM9 ROMs.
As an added bonus, the developer was kind enough to offer two ported versions of the TouchWiz UX launcher for the Galaxy S2, namely, the 4 x 5 stock grid layout for the App Drawer and the 5 x 5 App Drawer grid layout similar to the one found on the Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000.
Continue reading the rest of this guide to learn more about installing the TouchWiz UX Launcher on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 running official stock ICS ROM and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Check our guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the TouchWiz UX Launcher version of your choice:
- Download the Galaxy S3′s stock widgets flashable package (StockWidgets.zip, 14.95 MB). The package includes widgets for Agenda, Calendar, and AccuWeather.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP files to the root of your phone’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons. Your phone should automatically boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. Use the Volume rocker to navigate and Power button to select an option.
- Inside recovery, select Install ZIP from SD Card. Select Choose ZIP from SD Card. Browse for the downloaded TouchWiz UX ZIP file and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the screen that follows.
- Flash the package for the stock widgets in the same manner as in the previous step.
- After the installation is complete, head back to the main recovery menu by selecting Go Back.
- Reboot your phone by selecting Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Samsung Galaxy S3′s TouchWiz UX Launcher on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.