Since the release of Android 4.1 source codes, a lot of custom ROMs have been made to bring the latest updates to Android devices. One of these custom ROMs is the the Vanilla RootBOX ROM. This ROM lets you enjoy pure Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and some of features from AOKP under the hood. What's best is that it also has AROMA Installer included and lets you customize the ROM.
XDA Developers member bajee11 shares the Vanilla RootBOX ROM and teaches us how to install it on the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. Although there are rumors speculating that an official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM will arrive soon on your phone, you can try out this custom ROM and see how pure Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean would look without any modification from Samsung's TouchWiz skin. Take note that this ROM is still in its early stage and expect some bugs when you install it.
In this guide, you will learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via Vanilla RootBOX ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with root access and ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Download RootBox_JB_V2.2.zip (md5sum: 2b5b1b1550a3d5ec3f6b653fde4140a7)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Vanilla RootBOX ROM file to the phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Up key, Home button (middle key), and the Power button simultaneously until recovery boots.
- NOTE: Once in recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to Mounts and Storage and select Format /system.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the Vanilla RootBOX ROM ZIP file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM.
- The AROMA Installer will appear. Follow the onscreen instructions and set the desired settings. Make sure not to select Reboot device when installation is complete.
- Go to the main menu and select Wipe cache partition. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the Vanilla RootBOX ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. You can now enjoy the features of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and some of the enhancements from AOKP on your mobile phone.