Android Open Kang Project ROMs, fondly known as AOKP, is one of the many custom ROMs that people prefer because of the number of customizations you can do with it. For the past weeks, more and more devices have been receiving unofficial ports of AOKP ROMs and today, the Samsung Galaxy S2 is getting its share.
Props to XDA Developers senior member Rushabh25, the Samsung Galaxy S2 can now run on a smoother and faster ROM — the Jelly Bean 4.1 AOKP ROM. This ROM is still a work in progress but the fact that it's slated to bring Galaxy S2 owners the great Jelly Bean experience is reason enough for you to consider flashing this ROM to your phone.
Keep in mind that this ROM, again, is still a work in progress. It may still carry bugs and issues with it, but that won't stop you from testing this ROM out, right?
In this guide, you will learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S2 I9100 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with stock Android 4.1 XXLPQ firmware and ClockworkMod Recovery installed. For help, check our guides:
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the Jelly Bean 4.1 AOKP Beta 2 ROM (JB_AOKP_GT-I9100_R25_Beta2.zip, 192.55 MB)
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Jelly Bean 4.1 AOKP Beta 2 ROM to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off.
- Boot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Home, and Power button together until recovery boots.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM in case there will be problems. To create a backup, select Backup and Restore then select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Once data wipe is done, select Install ZIP from SD card. Select Choose ZIP from SD card and select the ROM's file. Confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM to your phone.
- After the ROM installation is done, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed ROM which may take up to 5 minutes in its first boot.
Congratulations! Your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 is now faster and smoother than ever, thanks to the developers who brought the Jelly Bean 4.1 AOKP ROM to you and your device.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.