If you are an owner of a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100, you've surely heard the disappointing news a few days ago saying that the Galaxy S2 won't be receiving any more updates for its firmware. A lot of users were given hope when a leak of the Android 4.0.4 firmware update for build XXLQ5 was circulating the forums and online communities. It had been a ray of hope for Galaxy S2 owners to experience a faster, smoother, and more stable firmware.
Given that the firmware is a leak, it still carries a few bugs and issues. Some users have reported that the firmware is indeed faster and smoother and works without any noticeable major problems, so all in all, the firmware can be used daily.
Nevertheless, it will still satisfy your need of seeing and experiencing a faster and smoother UI. If you are interested to upgrade the Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.4 build XXLQ5, read on and follow the requirements and simple instructions below.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
- A Windows PC
- Your phone's USB cable
- 7-Zip, WinRAR, or any other programs that can extract archive files
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB Debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract the contents of the I9100XXLQ5_I9100OXALQ5_OXA.zip file to get these files:
- Extract the contents of the Odin 1.85.zip file to obtain the Odin3 v1.85.exe file.
- Double-click on the Odin3 v1.85.exe file to launch Odin on your computer.
- Unplug your phone from the computer if it is connected. After unplugging, turn your phone off.
- Put your phone into Download Mode. To do this, hold the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons together until the screen turns on. Press the Volume Up key to put your phone into Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to the PC using the USB cable. In Odin, a message saying “Added!!” will appear on the bottom left of the window.
- In the Odin window, click on the PDA button and select the I9100_CODE_I9100XXLQ5_CL753921_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5file. The file should show on the space beside the PDA button.
- Click on the PHONE button and select MODEM_I9100XXLQ5_REV_02_CL1165929.tar.md5 file. The file should show on the space beside the Phone button.
- Click on the CSC button and select the GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXALQ5.tar.md5file. The file should show on the space beside the CSC button.
- Don't alter anything else in Odin. Leave everything else as is, except for adding the files mentioned in steps 7 to 9.
- Click on the Start button in Odin to start flashing the firmware to your phone.
- After the flashing completes, your phone will automatically reboot. You should be able to get a “PASS” message on the top left part of Odin.
- NOTE: If you get a FAIL message or Odin gets stuck, disconnect your phone from the PC and close Odin. Remove the battery from your phone, re-insert it, and place your phone into Download Mode again. Open Odin and do the procedure starting from step 6.
- Once you see the Samsung logo on your phone's screen, you can safely disconnect your phone from the PC.
Great job! You have successfully flashed Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich build XXLQ5 on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. Gone are the days of having your phone run the older firmware. Enjoy the smoother and faster firmware.