The Ice Cream Sandwich craze is all over town and it seems that almost every Android smartphone already had its own share of Google’s frozen treat. With CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) making its way to the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, it’s about time the device gets some serious upgrade in terms of its software. Considered as the holy grail of custom ROMs, CyanogenMod 9 promises users pain-free installation of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS).
CyanogenMod 9 features full customization of Ice Cream Sandwich minus the TouchWiz UI and other Samsung bloatware. Although CyanogenMod 9 for the Epic 4G Touch is still under heavy development, expect to see this ROM with some bugs still hanging around:
- apps2sd doesn’t work for external SD card
- Video recording doesn’t decode the files properly to mp4, so the output is unusable
- Music occasionally force closes.
In the rest of this guide, you’ll find the instructions for installing CyanogenMod 9 on Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch
- A Windows PC
- USB drivers for the Samsung Epic 4G Touch installed on your PC. You can get the drivers here.
- Uninstall Samsung KIES as it may interrupt during the flashing process.
- Download the following:
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Installing EL29 Gingerbread kernel with ClockworkMod Recovery
- Copy the CyanogenMod 9 ROM and GApps ZIP files to the root of your phone’s internal SD card (not the microSD card).
- On your computer, extract the contents of the Odin 1.85.zip file into a folder.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone to Download Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down both the Volume Down and Power buttons.
- On your PC, launch Odin by double-clicking Odin3 v1.85.exe from the folder where you extracted the Odin package.
- Connect your Samsung Epic 4G Touch to your PC. The Odin3 window will greet you with a message “Added!” under Odin3’s message box found on the bottom left. If ever you didn’t get a confirmation message, then probably there is a problem with your USB drivers.
- In Odin3, click the PDA tab, and select the file named E4GT-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 that you have downloaded earlier.
- Uncheck the “F. Reset Time” option in the Odin3 application. Make sure that you do not make any other change in the Odin application.
- Select the “START” button in Odin to begin flashing ClockworkMod Recovery. If you’re successful in flashing you will be prompted with a “PASS” message with a green background.
- After the flashing completes, your phone will automatically reboot. While it is rebooting, remove the phone’s battery to stop the phone from completely booting into Normal Mode.
- Reinsert the battery, but don’t power on the phone.
Installing CyanogenMod 9
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until the screen turns on.
- Once you see the ClockworkMod Recovery menu, press the Volume Up and Volume Down keys alternately and repeatedly until the bottom of the menu displays “Back menu button enabled.”
- Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select “Yes” on the screen that follows to perform a data wipe.
- Select Wipe cache partition, then confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache, then confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from sdcard > Choose ZIP from sdcard. Browse for the CM9 ROM file that you copied to the phone earlier and select the file. Confirm that you want to flash the file by selecting “Yes”. Wait for about 5 to 10 minutes for the ROM to finish installing. Repeat this same step for the GApps package.
- Select “go back” to head back to the main recovery menu.
- Select “reboot system now” to restart your phone.
Congratulations! You successfully installed Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch through the CyanogenMod 9 custom ROM.