The Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 officially runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS). This phone runs the sweet OS, flavored by Samsung's TouchWiz UI. But, if you want to remove the artificial flavors and indulge in the pure Android 4.0 ICS experience, you can do so by following our guide below. Let's take a break from all those Android 4.1 Jelly Bean development pages and focus our gaze on its sweet predecessor, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
XDA Developers member times_infinity has managed to port the AOSP Android 4.0 ICS ROM to the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710. This ROM is based on pure AOSP sources with additional features to be able to run on the mobile phone. Using this ROM will let you enjoy TouchWiz-free Android 4.0 ICS on your mobile phone. The ROM, however sweet, is not yet complete and the developer is still mixing the perfect ingredients to create the sweetest treat for your mobile phone.
In this guide, learn how to flash AOSP Android 4.0.4 ICS on the Epic 4G Touch D710.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710
- Download the following files:
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies or manually installing the USB drivers for Samsung Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Flashing EL26 Stock Recovery
- Transfer the AOSP Android 4.0.4 ICS ROM and GApps package to the phone's internal SD card.
- Extract Odin 1.85.zip to a folder on your computer.
- Double-click Odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin on your computer.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into Download Mode. You can do that by pressing the Volume Down and Power button until a warning message appears on the screen. Press the Volume Up key to boot into Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable. The word “Added!!” will appear in Odin. This will indicate that the phone has successfully connected to the computer.
- Click the PDA button in Odin. Locate and select the StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5.
- Make sure that “Re-partition” and “Auto Reboot” are not selected under Options.
- Click Start to begin the flashing process.
- You will get a “PASS” message in Odin.
- Disconnect the phone from the computer, remove the battery, and re-insert.
- Proceed to the next section.
Flashing the AOSP Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Up key and Power button simultaneously until recovery boots.
- NOTE: While in recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. From the main recovery menu, select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Wait until the backup process is done.
- Go back to the main menu and perform a full wipe:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the AOSP Android 4.0.4 ICS ROMZIPfile. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your mobile phone.
- Return to the main menu and flash the GApps package in the same manner as in steps 4 and 5.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Hooray! You have successfully flashed the AOSP Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on your Samsung Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.