You can always count on the Android community to be quick on their feet in finding ways and means to root devices. One successful member of XDA Developers, zedomax, has managed to bring us a rooting kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 running on Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread. At the moment, the root kernel is rather basic, but comes with the SuperUser app.
If the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 is your first Android phone, and you’d like to gain root access but have no idea how to go about it, don’t worry. Our guide will walk you through the rooting process. Even the most novice of Android users will be able to root their devices.
The rooting method described in this guide is exclusively Windows-only, as it requires Odin3. Also, this rooting technique is only compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch. If your phone does not match this model, we highly discourage attempting rooting your phone with this kernel. Attempts to do so with an incompatible phone may lead to bricking.
We’ll need a few things before we can start rooting your Sprint Epic 4G Touch:
- Make a backup of all the data on your phone in case any data is lost or corrupted during the rooting process.
- Make sure that your Epic 4G Touch’s battery is fully charged. This prevents the phone from dying in the middle of the rooting process.
- USB Debugging enabled on your Epic 4G Touch
- Samsung KIES installed on your computer. This will install the proper device drivers.
- Zedomax’s Epic 4G Touch root kernel v1 (epictouch4grootv1.zip, md5sum: a27c58caafb177837b5c45b10b9a544c) package and Odin3 v1.85 (also included in the package).
- Disable Samsung KIES, antivirus software, firewall programs, and other security software on your computer before proceeding with the root process.
Root your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710, as follows:
- Download Zedomax’s Epic 4G Touch root package to your computer.
- Extract the contents of ZIP archive using 7-Zip, WinRAR, or similar file extraction programs.
- Among the extracted files should be SPH-D710_Zedomax_Kernel.tar and odin3 v1.85.exe.
- Turn off your Epic 4G Touch.
- Boot your Epic 4G Touch into Download Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Power button and the Volume Down key until you see the Warning! message on the screen. Let go of both buttons and press the Volume Up rocker to continue.
- On your computer, double-click on odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin3.
- Connect your Epic 4G Touch to your computer via the USB Cable.
- If you’ve got the appropriate device drivers installed, you should see an “Added!” message in the lower left corner of the Odin window.
- In Odin3, click on PDA and navigate to where you extracted the contents of the ZIP file you downloaded.
- Choose the SPH-D710_Zedomax_Kernel.tar file.
- Make sure to not touch any of the other settings in Odin3.
- Hit the Start button in Odin3 to begin flashing the file
- Once the file has finished flashing, your phone should automatically reboot.
Once your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 has rebooted, it should now be rooted. Congratulations!