It looks like the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch is under the spotlight again with a brand-new Ice Cream Sandwich ROM based on leaked firmware, the latest of which is version FC07.
Those who wish to enjoy Android 4.0.3 firmware FC07 on the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch can do so now, thanks to members of XDA Developers who have provided packages flashable through ClockworkMod Recovery.
The firmware packages come in two flavors: one is pre-rooted, and the other is both pre-rooted and deodexed. Both are stock firmware. The deodexed version of the ROM is useful for users who want to flash custom themes later, as most themes require deodexed ROM versions. The stock rooted (non-deodexed) version, on the other hand, is generally used as the default or normal version that most users will download for daily use.
There is actually no difference between the two, as they are completely identical in terms of features and functionality.
If you can’t wait for the official Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade to come out for the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, read on and find out how you can install Android 4.0.3 firmware version FC07 on your device.
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left
- Backup of your personal data and files
- Download oneof the following packages containing firmware FC07 and save the file to your computer:
- Stock, pre-rooted version (Calkulin’s_Stock_Rooted_FC07_ROM_v1.0.zip, md5sum: 060b87256c378c08c1ea7c6116571a01)
- Stock, pre-rooted, deodexed version (Calkulin’s_Stock_Rooted_De-odex’d_FC07_ROM_v1.0.zip, md5sum: 9e68892ad40e09c4dd66ee4e21785d27)
- Download the modem firmware for build FC07 from here (E4GT_Modem_FC07.zip, md5sum: 77504966a7a3399e2e12494560822ad3). Save the file to your computer.
- Download the recommended formatting package from here (Calkulin’s_FORMAT_ALL_for_E4GT.zip, 143.7 kB). Save the file to your computer.
- Connect your phone to your computer.
- Copy the 3 ZIP files (firmware ROM, modem update, and formatting package) into the root of your phone’s internal SD card (not the microSD).
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery by holding down both the Volume Up and Power buttons until the phone boots into recovery.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse for Calkulin’s_FORMAT_ALL_for_E4GT.zip and select it to flash the file. (This will format the required partitions on your phone without your having to manually perform a wipe.)
- Select “go back” to head back to the main recovery menu.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse for the downloaded ROM that you have transferred earlier and select it to install the ROM. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- After installing the ROM, select “go back” to head back to the main recovery menu. DO NOT reboot your phone at this point.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard”. Browse for the E4GT_Modem_FC07.zip file and select it to install the FC07 modem firmware.
- Finally after the FC07 modem has been installed, select “go back” then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed build FC07 of Android 4.0.3 on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch. Plus, your phone is also rooted, so you won’t need to root it again.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.