The Samsung Galaxy S3 is one of the latest phones from Samsung that packs outstanding features such as longer battery life, blazing quad-core speed, outstanding media management, and much more. This phone also carries the latest version of Samsung’s TouchWiz.
If you want to turn your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710′s user interface into a Galaxy S3 look-alike, XDA senior developer scarmon25 has your back. The said dev was able to make a de-odexed stock ROM for your phone with the latest TouchWiz on top.
Called the FF11 De-Odexed | Touched by a SGSIII v1.7 ROM, this ROM is a stock Samsung ROM themed to look like the Galaxy S3 and with stock Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. What’s more is that it is de-odexed and you can easily customize the ROM to your liking.
Read on to learn how to flash the FF11 De-Odexed | Touched by a SGSIII v1.7 custom ROM to your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch on Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread EL29 firmware.
- A Windows PC
- WinRAR, 7-Zip, or any archive extraction software installed on your computer
- Download and install the USB drivers (Sprint_d710_USB_Driver_v1_3_2360_0.exe, 22.8 MB) to your computer.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone.
- Download the FF11 De-Odexed | Touched by a SGSIII v1.7 custom ROM (TBASGSIIIv1.7_FE11.zip, md5sum: 1ab8409fcbe979091decfa25559132d7).
- Download the EL26 Stock ClockworkMod Recovery image (StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5, 8.0 MB).
- Download Odin3 1.85 (Odin 1.85.zip, 199 kB)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Maintain a battery charge of 70% or more to make sure that you have sufficient power for the entire procedure.
- Copy TBASGSIIIv1.7_FE11.zip to the phone’s internal SD card.
- Extract Odin 1.85.zip into a folder on your computer.
- Switch off your phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key and Power button until a warning message appears. Press the Volume Up key to enter Download mode.
- Go to the extracted folder and double-click Odin3 v1.85.exe. This will launch Odin3 on your computer.
- Connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable. You’ll see the “Added” message under Odin’s message box on the bottom left. If it doesn’t appear, make sure to install the proper USB drivers for your phone.
- Click the PDA button and select the StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5 file.
- Uncheck the Auto Reboot option.
- Click Start button in Odin3 to flash the EL26 Stock ClockworkMod Recovery.
- After installation is complete, a “Pass” message with a green background will appear in the upper leftmost box in Odin3.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer.
- Remove your battery and re-insert it but do not turn on your phone yet.
- Boot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding the Volume Up key and Power button simultaneously until recovery boots.
- Perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Mounts and Storage. From there, select Format System and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP From SD Card and locate the TBASGSIIIv1.7_FE11.zip. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your mobile phone.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the FF1 De-odexed | Touched by a SGSIII v1.7 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.
(Post updated June 16, 2012 — E.M.)
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.