Custom ROMs come in all sorts of flavors and one of the interesting builds out there is the phablet version that combines phone and tablet user interfaces. If you've been here a while, you'll be familiar with the name ParanoidAndroid.
Thanks to XDA Developers member KBizzle, owners of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 on Sprint will now be able to experience this new breed of ROM which is unique in many ways because it will turn any phone into a hybrid with tablet capabilities while remaining as sleek as a phone.
The ParandoidAndroid ROM is powered by Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean and brings a ton of features, including a smooth buttery interface, expandable notifications, a smart keyboard layout, a faster web browser and a whole lot more.
The tablet-like user interface is great for phones like the Sprint Epic 4G Touch as it will transform your phone into a versatile piece of hardware that allows you to scale and size different applications. However, don't expect this ROM to be bug-free, as it is still a work in progress.
This guide shows you how to flash the ParanoidAndroid ROM for the Epic 4G Touch D710.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with theSamsung Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710
- Download the following files and save them to your computer.
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Any extracting software such as WinRAR or 7-Zip installed on your computer.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Installing Stock EL26 ClockworkMod Recovery
- Extract the Odin 1.85.zip file and place the extracted files inside a single folder on your computer.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot the phone into Download Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Down and Power buttons. You will get a “Warning!” message on the next screen. Press the Volume Up key to continue into Download Mode.
- On your computer, launch Odin by double-clicking the Odin3 v1.85.exe file.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable. You should get the message “Added!!” in one of Odin's message boxes.
- In Odin, click the PDA button and browse for the StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5 file.
- Click the Start button in Odin to begin flashing ClockworkMod Recovery. Do not make any changes except the ones mentioned in this tutorial. Doing so may cause irreversible damage to your phone.
- If you are successful, you will get a message “PASS” in one of Odin's message box. Your phone will also automatically reboot.
Installing the ParanoidAndroid ROM
- Copy the downloaded GApps and Paranoid Android ROM to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up and Power buttons together until recovery boots.
- NOTE: Use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select an option inside recovery.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the ParanoidAndroid ROM and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the next screen to install the ROM.
- Repeat step 5 but this time around select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip file to install the Google apps.
- After the installation is complete, head back to the main recovery menu by selecting Go back.
- Reboot your phone by selecting Reboot system now.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Jelly Bean-based ParanoidAndroid ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.