If you’re planning to flash CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 3 to your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710, you might want to try this mod that magically transforms your phone’s user-interface into that of a mini tablet running on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.
XDA Developers member Xylograph and a group of other developers have successfully created the Tablet/Hybrid UI Mode, which magically fits a tablet’s UI right into your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch running CyanogenMod 9 alpha3 ROM.
So, if you want to make your phone a mini tablet, read on to learn how to flash CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 3 and Tablet/Hybrid UI Mode to your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with Sprint’s Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch running on stock Android 2.3.x Gingerbread. Check out this guide on how to root your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.
- Download and install the following to your computer:
- Download the EL26 stock CWM kernel from here (StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5 size: 8 MB).
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- A fully charged battery.
- Download the CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 3 ROM from the following links (update-cm-9-20120416-SNAPSHOT-epic4gtouch-alpha3-signed.zip, md5sum: dfee0449ba6d5020e45dd65a7f546a17):
- Download the Tablet/Hybrid UI Mode package from here or here (TabletUI_MOD_CM9.zip, 2 MB).
- Download the Google Apps (Gapps) for this ROM here (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip md5sum: 7c524e1e078164f681e0aa6753180b2c).
- Download/Copy the following files to your phone’s SD card:
- Extract Odin3_v1.85.zip into a folder on your computer.
- Double-click Odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin3 on your computer.
- Switch off your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key and Power button simultaneously to reboot your phone into Download Mode. A warning screen will be displayed on the next screen. Press the Volume Up key to continue.
- Once booted into Download Mode, connect your phone to the computer via USB cable. The “ID:COM” in Odin will be highlighted. This indicates that your phone has successfully connected with Odin.
- Click PDA and select StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5.
- Make sure that only “Auto Reboot” is checked under Options.
- Once everything is set, click Start to begin flashing the EL26 stock CWM kernel to your mobile phone.
- After flashing the kernel, your phone will automatically reboot. When it begins to reboot, hold the Volume Up key and Power button to boot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main recovery menu.
- Select Install ZIP From SD Card. Select Choose ZIP From SD Card and locate the update-cm-9-20120416-SNAPSHOT-epic4gtouch-alpha3-signed.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen to begin flashing the ROM to your phone.
- Flash gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip in the same manner as in step 13.
- Flash TabletUI_MOD_CM9.zip in the same manner as in step 13.
- Once everything is complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
- After complete boot, download the ROM Toolbox from the Google Play Store and install the app to your phone.
- Launch the ROM Toolbox app and use it to set the phone’s LCD density into 128.
- Reboot your mobile phone.
Congratulations! You can now enjoy the tablet UI on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 running Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich via CyanogenMod 9 Alpha 3 and the Tablet/Hybrid UI Mode.