We all know that if you want to experience pure Google Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), you will need to flash custom ROMs to your Android phone. CyanogenMod 9 and AOKP Milestone 5 are just some of the few ROMs that give you a fresh ICS experience, without any dose of the individual manufacturers’ skins. What’s more surprising is that you can also enjoy a pure ICS tablet user interface on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.
XDA Developers member T.C.P and a group of other developers managed to port the latest AOKP Milestone 5 (based on Android 4.0.4 ICS) to the Epic 4G Touch. They also provided an AOKP Milestone 5 ROM with added tablet user-interface. So, if you want to experience a tablet UI running on your phone, read on to learn how to flash the AOKP Milestone 5 with a tablet user interface on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with Sprint’s Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, model number SPH-D710. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch. You may check out our guide on how to root your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.
- Download and install the USB Drivers for the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch to your computer:
- Download Odin3 v1.85 (Odin3_v1.85.zip, 199 kB).
- Download the EL26 stock ClockworkMod kernel from here (StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5, 8 MB).
- Download the AOKP Milestone 5 with Tablet UI from here (AOKP_Milestone-5_epic4gtouch-TabletUI-SMS_Split.zip, 118.31 MB).
- Download the latest GApps (Google Apps) package for this ROM from here (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip, md5sum: 7c524e1e078164f681e0aa6753180b2c)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- A fully charged battery.
- Copy AOKP_Milestone-5_epic4gtouch-TabletUI-SMS_Split.zip and gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Extract Odin3_v1.85.zip into a folder on your computer.
- Click the Odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin on your computer.
- Turn off your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key and Power button to reboot your phone into Download Mode. A warning screen will appear. Press the Volume Up key to continue.
- Using the USB cable, connect your mobile phone to the computer. The “ID:COM” in Odin will be highlighted. This indicates that your phone has successfully connected to your computer.
- NOTE: If your phone wasn’t able to connect to the computer, make sure you have properly installed the USB drivers for your phone.
- Click PDA and locate the StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5.
- NOTE: Make sure that only “Auto Reboot” is marked under Options.
- Click Start to begin flashing the EL26 Stock CWM kernel to your mobile phone.
- Your phone will automatically reboot. When it begins to reboot, press the Volume Up key and Power button to boot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Advance from the main menu. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP From SD Card and locate AOKP_Milestone-5_epic4gtouch-TabletUI-SMS_Split.zip.
- NOTE: Some users suggest that you will need to flash the ROM twice for it to boot. So, if your initial flash ends quickly, reflash the ROM right after the initial flash.
- Flash gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip in the same manner (steps 11 and 12).
- After installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your mobile phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the AOKP Milestone 5 ROM (based on Android 4.0.4 ICS) with tablet user-interface to your Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710.