Firmware is practically raining from the sky! After XXKP1 for Android 4.0 and XXKP2 for Android 4.0.1 were released, an all-new leak of Android 4.0.3 just recently hit the servers. Samsung Galaxy S2 GT I9100 users must be in heaven with this firmware, the XXKP8 for Android 4.0.3.
Bear in mind that firmware version XXKP8 for Android 4.0.3 is not officially from Samsung Electronics. As such, there is no ETA for when this update will be officially pushed through Samsung KIES. Because this is a leaked version, it will also need to be updated through Odin and not Samsung KIES.
For devices that are network-locked, users should be careful as there is no telling what the consequences are. This firmware still has some minor bugs but should be addressed and resolved in future updates.
By applying this update, it will not root your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. But, if your devices has already been rooted, it will revoke root access.
Requirements and Important Notes
As always, before updating, there is a list of things you’ll need to do to facilitate a smooth update process:
- Back up all the data on your phone in case it will be lost or corrupted during the update process.
- Disable any security suites and antivirus tools you have on your desktop.
- Make sure that you have the latest version of Samsung KIES installed.
- Make sure that you have the latest version of .net framework installed.
- Make sure that you’ve enabled USB Debugging on your device. You can do this through the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging.”
- Make sure that your device has a charge of at least 70% to prevent it from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
- This firmware and the instructions for installing it is for the international variant of the Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) and may not work for the U.S. variants or other variants (e.g., Epic 4G Touch, Skyrocket, GT-I9100G, etc.).
- The instructions in this guide will only work on Galaxy S2 handsets that are not network-locked. If your phone is network-locked, this guide may not work for you.
Once you have all of the preinstallation requirements met, you may now continue to installing the XXKP8 ICS Android 4.0.3 firmware.
- Start by downloading the ICS Android 4.0.3 XXPK firmware file onto your computer. Get the package here. Extract the contents to a folder on your computer.
- Odin3 v1.83 will be among the extracted files. Launch Odin3 on your computer.
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into Download Mode. You can do this by holding down both the Volume Down key and the center button while you press the Power button.
- Once the device enters Download Mode, connect your phone to your computer. In Odin, you will see that the ID:COM section lights up, indicating that the drivers have been properly installed. If the ID : COM section does not light up, please do not proceed further. It means that you need to update to the latest versions of KIES and .net framework.
- Click on the following tabs (indicated in bold text below) and select the corresponding files from the XXKP8 ICS Android 4.0.3 firmware folder:
Under Options in Odin3, check the boxes for the following: Re-Partition, Auto Reboot, and F. Reset Time.
Once you’re done, click “Start” in Odin3.
The phone will restart when the process completes itself.
After the phone restarts and you see the homescreen, remove the USB Cable.
Turn off the phone again and reboot the phone into Download Mode.
Connect the phone to the computer. Make sure Odin3 is still running on the computer.
Click the PDA button in Odin3 and load this file: I9100_KERNEL_I9100XXKP8_CL42141_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
Under Options, make sure that only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked.
Click Start in Odin3. The phone will restart again once the process is complete.
Once you see the homescreen on your phone, remove the USB Cable.
Turn off your phone and reboot it into Recovery Mode by holding down both the Volume Up key and the Center button while pressing the Power button.
In Recovery Mode, select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
Select “Wipe Cache Partition.”
Reboot your system.
Go to “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version”. If you’ve followed the steps correctly, your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 should be running on XXKP8 Android 4.0.3 firmware.
- PIT – u1_02_20110310_emmc_EXT4.pit
- PDA – I9100_CODE_I9100XXKP8_CL42141_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5
- Phone – MODEM_I9100XXKP8_REV_02_CL1092599.tar.md5
- CSC – GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXAKP8.tar.md5
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your Galaxy S2 with Android 4.0.3 firmware version XXKP8.