After the release of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) to the public, developers had a hard time looking for a way to bring the updates to our Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. Today, we face the problem of choosing the right ICS ROM for our phone. The Samsung Galaxy S2 received the official Android 4.0 ICS updates with a dose of TouchWiz on top, but for those of you longing for a pure Google experience, you might want to settle for custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod 9 or other ICS ROMs from independent Android developers.
One of these ICS custom ROMs is the r3mor3ma AOSP edition r1 ROM by senior XDA Developers member remorema. This ROM is based on CyanogenMod 9 and lets you enjoy Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100. What’s more is that the developer made this ROM fast and clean by removing some stock applications from Android 4.0 ICS.
The r3mor3ma AOSP edition r1 ROM includes the following apps:
- Stock Android Browser
- Galaxy S2 Settings
- Movie Studio
- Play Store
- Google Talk
If you want to experience a cleaner and faster ICS ROM, continue reading the rest of this guide to learn how to flash the r3mor3ma AOSP edition r1 ROM to your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. You may refer to the following guides:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- To ensure your phone has sufficient power for this procedure, maintain battery charge of 70% or more.
- Download the r3mor3ma AOSP Edition r1 custom ROM from here (I9100_AOSP_DEODEXED_042612_012351_FIXED.zip md5sum: fb3f9c5316d4940b5efd3d166e02f104).
- Using your USB cable, connect your Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer and transfer the I9100_AOSP_DEODEXED_042612_012351_FIXED.zip to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Safely disconnect your phone from the computer.
- Turn off your mobile phone.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S2 into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing the Volume Up key, Home button (middle key), and Power button simultaneously until Recovery boots. NOTE: Once in ClockworkMod Recovery Mode, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an Option.
- Create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Go back to main menu and perform a full wipe:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card and locate the I9100_AOSP_DEODEXED_042612_012351_FIXED.zip file. Confirm the action to begin flashing the ROM to your mobile phone.
- Once complete, go back and select Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
Good job! You have successfully flashed the r3mor3ma AOSP edition r1 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.