Almost every Android device can partake of the new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean treat, and that includes the Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001, thanks to an early build of unofficial CyanogenMod 10 for the Galaxy S Plus.
CyanogenMod is among the most popular custom ROMs. The alpha build of CM10 for the I9001 has been released by XDA Developers member Doomsday94.
Currently this custom ROM is in its early development stage and you may encounter some issues and bugs while using this custom ROM. Google Search and the camera currently don't work. Almost everything else, however, works.
This guide shows you how to flash CyanogenMod 10 for the Galaxy S Plus I9001.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S Plus, model number GT-I9001. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001 with ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery.
- Make sure that “SIM card lock” is not selected. You can find this under Settings > Location and Security > SIM card lock.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- CyanogenMod 10 ROM (cm-10-20120930-DOOMSDAY94-ariesve-alpha 1.zip, 143 MB)
- Google Apps package (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, md5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using TWRP Recovery. The menu locations and menu names may be different on ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Copy the CyanogenMod 10 ROM file and the Google Apps package to the internal SD card of your phone.
- Turn off the phone.
- Boot your phone into Recovery Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up and Power buttons at the same time. You can then let go of the buttons once the Samsung logo on the screen appears. When the icon bearing an Android inside a box shows up, press the Menu button.
- Make sure to create a backup before installing the ROM. Tap on Backup and slide the blue circle located at the bottom to the right to perform a backup. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe and choose Cache. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card. Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the cm-10-20120930-DOOMSDAY94-ariesve-alpha 1.zip file. Confirm the installation on the next screen.
- Once the installation is complete, flash the Google Apps package in the same manner as in step 7.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to reboot your phone. It would take about 5-7 minutes to boot for the first time.
Great work! You have successfully installed the CyanogenMod 10 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.