Until now, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich is still very much well-loved by Android users. Some still love the Holo-themed UI of ICS and would even prefer this to Jelly Bean.
If you own a Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001 and you happened to stumble across this article, you should thank the heavens because your phone will be able to experience a stable ICS-based CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) ROM. The Samsung Galaxy S Plus was one device that didn't receive any official Android version update. I could just imagine how disappointing it must have been to the owners. But today, thanks to XDA Developers member ivendor, a CyanogenMod 9 ROM was released for the phone.
The great thing about this ROM is that it is stable and almost everything pretty much works. The only thing that doesn't work as of now is the radio, but hopefully, it will be addressed soon.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy S Plus I9001 to Android 4.0.4 ICS via CyanogenMod 9.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S Plus, model number GT-I9001. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001 with ClockworkMod 5 or TWRP Recovery 2.2.1 installed
- Your phone's USB cable
- Download the following files:
- CM9 ICS beta 5 ROM package (cm-9-20120902-ivendor-ariesve-beta5.zip, md5sum: 4383de78505efe5b3f8c15ebda7c82fd).
- GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip, md5sum: 7c524e1e078164f681e0aa6753180b2c)
- See to it that your phone's battery is charged up to 75% to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the CM9 ROM package and the GApps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off and boot into custom recovery. Press and hold down the Volume Up and Power buttons together. Let go of the buttons as soon as you see the Samsung logo on the screen. When the icon bearing an Android inside a box shows up, press the Menu button.
- Make a backup of your current ROM in case of problems. To create a backup, select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card. Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the CM9 ROM ZIP file. Select the ZIP file to confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your phone.
- After installation of the ROM is done, install the GApps package in the same manner as in step 6.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Awesome! Your Samsung Galaxy S Plus GT-I9001 is now running on an Ice Cream Sandwich-based CyanogenMod 9 ROM.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.