Install HTC Sense 2.1 on Samsung Galaxy S
Love it or hate it, looks like HTC Sense is hell-bent on getting on the Samsung Galaxy S. This newest attempt to port HTC Sense to the Samsung Galaxy S has been made by QuBe2, member of XDA Developers. It’s based on Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread and comes with HTC Sense 2.1. It may be a little old, especially with HTC Sense 4.0 being floated around, but as long as it gets a fully working Sense port, beggars can’t be choosers.
At the time of this writing, the port is still under development and cannot be relied on yet for daily use. Some of its known issues are Bluetooth, both front and back cameras, fastboot, and the camcorder. When pattern lock is enabled, it also shows the device to be charging when it isn’t plugged in. Things like hardware acceleration, Wi-Fi, GPS, phone calls, SMS, USB Data Transfer, HTC Hub and HTC Sense Account seem to be in working order, however.
This ROM, called Galaxy S Sense 3G, is compatible only with the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000, so make sure you’ve got the appropriate model number before attempting to flash this ROM. Attempting to flash this on incompatible phones may result in bricking your phone. Check your handset’s model number by going to Settings > About phone.
Once you’re sure you’ve got the appropriate phone, then you’ll need a few more things:
- Make a backup of all important information on your phone, as flashing this ROM may erase or corrupt your data.
- Make sure your phone is fully charged to prevent it from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
- Remove the SIM card lock, if you’ve enabled it on your phone. You can do this through Settings > Location and Security > SIM Card Lock. Make sure that the checkbox is clear.
- Upgrade your Galaxy S to Android 2.3.6 firmware version XXJVU. After upgrading, root your Galaxy S and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Your Samsung Galaxy S must be rooted and must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Galaxy S Sense 3G custom ROM (current version as of this writing is 1.0.2)
Here’s how to flash the Galaxy S Sense 3G ROM to your Samsung Galaxy S:
- Download the Galaxy S Sense 3G custom ROM and save it to your computer. The ROM is packaged as a flashable ZIP file.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP file to the root of your device’s internal SD card (not the microSD card).
- Turn off your Galaxy S. Make sure it has shut down completely before proceeding.
- Reboot the phone into recovery mode. You can do this by holding the Volume Up and Home buttons while pressing the Power button. When the phone boots into recovery mode, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option on the menu.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset.” Confirm the operation on the next screen.
- Select “Install ZIP from SD Card.”
- Choose the Galaxy S Sense 3G ZIP file.
- Confirm that you want to flash the file.
- Once the file has finished flashing, select “Go Back” to return to the main menu.
- Select “Reboot System Now” to restart your phone.
The HTC Sense UI (version 2.1) is now used on your Samsung Galaxy S instead of the Samsung TouchWiz user interface. Have fun!