When Samsung released the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000, it came with Android 2.1 Eclair and later on got the upgrade for Android 2.3 Gingerbread. And, the official Samsung upgrades stopped there. But, not for custom ROM developers.
You can actually enjoy Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on your very old Galaxy S GT-I9000, thanks to custom ROMs such as the C-RoM Mix custom ROM. Developed by XDA Developers member aways, C-RoM Mix combines features of two other custom ROMs, CyanogenMod 10 and AOKP Jelly Bean. With such combination, you can expect a lot from C-RoM Mix.
The latest version of C-RoM Mix is expected to provide better battery life, speed, and stability. C-RoM Mix also includes the latest Google Apps, Semaphore JB 2.4.4 kernel, and other cool features.
This guide shows you how to flash C-RoM Mix for the Galaxy S I9000.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number GT-I9000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Download C-RoM Mix v5.0 (C-RoM Mix v5.zip, 287 MB)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy C-RoM Mix ZIP file to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn off your Galaxy S.
- Reboot your phone to ClockworkMod Recovery by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons at the same time until recovery boots.
- NOTE: You can use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option while in Recovery Mode.
- In Recovery Mode select Backup and Restore, then select Backup to create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM.
- Wipe and reset your phone by doing the following:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card.
- Locate and select C-RoM Mix v5.zip. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes – C-RoM Mix v5.zip on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Great job! You have successfully flashed C-RoM Mix 5.0 based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.