The Samsung Galaxy S is a remarkable phone that catapulted Samsung’s success in the mobile phone arena. Since its inception, the Galaxy S was touted to be a huge success boasting its Super AMOLED capabilities. With Ice Cream Sandwich already hitting the shores of many Android smartphones this year, it seems that the Galaxy S will be left behind in terms of an upgrade.
Samsung had already decided to deprive the Galaxy S GT-I9000 of Google’s latest frozen treat, claiming that the Galaxy S’s hardware is too old for the most recent Android OS. But, would such a claim ever deter the Android community from skepticism?
XDA Developers member dhiru1602 got hold of a leaked official Android 4.0.3 ICS firmware version XXLPH for the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 and succeeded in porting the firmware to the Galaxy S. Since the ported firmware is based on leaked official sources, it comes with the official Samsung TouchWiz UI, which many consider to bring extra functionality to vanilla Android.
The ported ROM is currently in its alpha stages. Here is a list of known features, as well as bugs, currently found in the ROM:
- Full 3D H/W Acceleration
- Cell Radio – Calls / SMS
- Sound (Calls / Media / Bluetooth)
- Touchscreen (Multitouch)
- Wifi (Partially)
- 3G , Packet Data
- SD Cards( Internal and External SD)
- Wired Headset
- USB Mass Storage
- Video Camera
- HD Video Playback
- And lots of other minor stuff.
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. For help, see our guides on rooting the Galaxy S:
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal phone data.
- Disable any lag fixes on your phone.
- Download the ICS 4.0.3 XXLPH port for the Galaxy S from here or here and save it to your PC.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ICS ROM and place it on the root of your phone’s external SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery. (Hold down Volume Up and OK buttons as you press the Power button. Release all buttons when the screen starts flashing.)
- Once inside ClockworkMod Recovery perform a full wipe by doing the following.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” then confirm the operation on the next screen.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition” then confirm the operation on the next screen.
- From the main menu, select “Advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache”, then confirm the operation on the next screen.
- Still in the “Advanced” menu, select “Wipe Battery Stats” then confirm the operation on the next screen.
- Repeat Step 6 a second time.
- From the main recovery menu, select “Install zip from SD card”.
- Select “Choose zip from SD card”, and browse for the ROM file that you copied to the phone earlier.
- Select the ROM file and confirm the ROM installation by selecting “Yes – Install SGS_XXLPH_ALPHA.zip”. Wait for the installation process to finish (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Select “Go back” then select “Reboot system now” to reboot your device.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 via the official leaked XXLPH firmware ported from the Samsung Galaxy S2.