Without a doubt, the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 never fails its loyal users. Yet another Ice Cream Sandwich ROM is already in the works, thanks to XDA Developers member Faryaab. Despite the launching of the Samsung Galaxy S3 with its quad-core capabilities, the Galaxy S still proves to be a worthy device capable of handling the latest Android firmware.
Put together racing and the GalaxyNexus and you have the F1 Galaxy Nexus ROM. Built entirely from scratch based on Google’s ICS source code, the F1 GalaxyNexus ROM is aimed to give users the true-blue experience of ICS on the Galaxy Nexus.
Here’s the full list of the F1 Galaxy Nexus ROM’s features:
- Zero or completely free of Bloatware
- Fully Deodexed
- Zipaligned APKs
- Rooted (Superuser)
- BusyBox Installed
- No 3rd Party App
- ZERO Bloatware
- Official ICS Bootanimation (From Official Nexus S 4.0.4 Firmware)
- Extended Power Menu (Reboot, Recovery & Download)
- Galaxy S Settings In The Launcher (Device Settings)
- Tweaked Scrolling Cache (Smooth Scrolling)
- Huge APN & SPN List
- Patched Settings with F1 Version
- EXT4 File System Optimizations
- SD-Card read ahead Tweak
- Fully Working Mass Storage
- Facebook Contact Sync
- T9 Dialer Functionality
- Landscape Dialer Support
- Notification Toggles (Press and hold the settings icon in the notification bar to reveal them)
- 180 degree rotation enabled
- Both MTP/UMS Support (Settings>Storage>Press Menu>USB Computer Connection)
- Storage Option In Camera (Internal SD Card, External SD Card & USB Storage)
- F1ROM Build Prop Tweaks
- Enabled GPU UI rendering
The only known issues plaguing the ROM are those found on Teamhacksung’s list.
Are you excited? Continue reading the rest of this guide to install the F1 GalaxyNexus ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number GT-I9000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running XWJW4 firmware.
- Need help with rooting and stock firmware? You can refer to this guide.
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed on the phone
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the latest F1 Galaxy Nexus ROM (F1-GalaxyNexus-GalaxyS-20120502.zip, 103.2 MB) from here.
- Download the Google Apps package (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip, 7c524e1e078164f681e0aa6753180b2c) from here.
- Copy both the F1 Galaxy Nexus ROM and Google Apps package to the root of your phone’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone completely.
- Boot into Recovery mode. You can do this by holding and pressing down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until the screen turns on. Use the Volume rocker keys to navigate and Power button to select inside recovery.
- Inside ClockworkMod Recovery, create a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM. If there are some features that do not work out with this ROM, you can easily revert to your default ROM using the backup. Make a backup by selecting Backup and Restore and on the screen that follows select Backup. Head back to the main menu after backup is complete.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then select Yes on the screen that follows to perform a factory reset on your phone.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card. Then, select Choose ZIP from SD Card. Browse for the downloaded F1 Galaxy Nexus ROM and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the screen that follows. It may take 5 -10 minutes for the installation to complete.
- Repeat step 8 to install the Google Apps package.
- After the installation is complete, head back to the main menu by selecting Go Back.
- Select Reboot System Now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the F1 Galaxy Nexus ROM based on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.