AOKP Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs are practically raining from the sky, and many devices are continuously added to the list of supported handsets. Devices such as the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 have already received their share of Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs coming from many developers with their own specialized builds, but there is one AOKP ROM that separates itself from the rest, as it promises to be one step ahead of other custom ROMS by providing users with the AROMA Installer.
AROMA Installer is basically an installation wizard that lets users set different installation options prior to actually flashing the ROM. Through AROMA Installer, you can select what boot animation, default apps, and tweaks/mods to install. What makes it very useful is that users don’t have to worry about installing various ROMs for the sake of customization, as the AROMA Installer basically lets you choose what options you want before installing the ROM.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to install the AOKP ROM (build 28) on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 by using AROMA Installer.
These instructions are meant only for the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 and is not compatible with any other variants. Using these instructions on another device could result in damage or a broken phone. Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not be held liable for anything that happens to your device because of your use of this guide.
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S I9000 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. (See our guide for rooting the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.)
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left
- Backup of your personal files and important phone files and data
- Download the latest version of the AOKP ROM with AROMA Installer from here or here (AOKP-build28-360-androiddicasb.zip, 255.14 MB)and save it to your PC.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP file to the root of your phone’s internal SD card.
- Disconnect your phone.
- Switch off your phone completely.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by holding and pressing down the “Volume Up”, “Home” and “Power” buttons until the screen turns on.
- Create a Nandroid backup of your current system through Backup and restore > Backup.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”.
- Select “choose zip from sdcard”.
- Browse for the downloaded ZIP file that you copied earlier and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting “Yes” on the screen that follows.
- The AROMA Installer screen will appear. If you wish to customize your installation, you can tap the “Customize” option. Inside the Customize option, you can select the things you want to install in the menus that come up. Make sure that you at least select one GApps (Google Apps) package. This will install the Google apps package like Market, GTalk, and Maps.
- After you finish selecting your desired options, the ROM will begin installing. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Select the Finish button to finalize the installation and reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the AOKP ICS ROM build 28 using AROMA Installer on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.