After much speculation and rumors of the next Ice Cream Sandwich update, Google has finally released the official Android 4.0.4 update for the Galaxy Nexus. While other non-Galaxy Nexus phones are already receiving bite-size treats of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich, the Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) is also receiving the same treatment with the Dark Knight 4 custom ROM that is purely based on the Galaxy Nexus’ Android 4.0.4 upgrade.
Credit goes to XDA Developers member nasif619 for porting Google’s latest frozen treat to the Galaxy S. Thanks to the improvements found in the Android 4.0.4 update, the ROM is oozing with all the goodness of ICS with enhanced speed, performance, stability, and so much more.
According to the developer, Dark Knight is still in its beta stages and is currently being developed and tested. The ROM is stable enough for good use but expect to see some issues with the ROM.
Excited for yet another Ice Cream Sandwich ROM update? Then continue reading the rest of this guide to learn how to flash the Dark Knight 4 custom ROM to your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.
- This guide is intended for the Samsung Galaxy S (I9000) and is not compatible with any other variants. You can check your device model by heading to Settings > About Phone.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not be responsible for whatever happens to your phone.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed and running on firmware XXJVU
- Battery level of at least 70%.
- Backup your personal files and important phone data.
Important Note: You can skip steps 1, 2, and 3 if you already have an Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM running on your phone. If you are not sure what ROM your phone is running, follow all the steps below.
- Remove SIM card lock from your device. You can do this by heading to Settings > Location and Security > SIM card lock. Make sure that option is unchecked.
- Upgrade your Samsung Galaxy S to stock firmware XXJVU. You can check out our flashing guide here.
- Root and install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S running stock firmware XXJVU. Click here to view our rooting guide for your phone.
- Download the latest version of Dark Knight 4 ROM from here (Dark knight 4 .zip size: 147.08 MB) and save it to your computer.
- Plug your Samsung Galaxy S to your PC using a USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ROM to your phone’s internal SD card (not microSD card).
- Safely remove your phone from your PC by detaching the USB cable.
- Switch off your phone. Wait for at least 30 seconds until your phone fully switches off.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing down the Volume Up button, Home key (Middle button), and Power button until Recovery boots.
- Once inside Recovery mode, perform a wipe:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the screen to confirm data wipe.
- Select Advanced, and then choose Wipe dalvik cache. Select Yes to confirm the cache wipe process on your phone.
- Go back to the main ClockworkMod Recovery menu.
- Select Install zip from sd card.
- Select Choose zip from sd card, then browse for the downloaded ROM and select it. Confirm the installation process by selecting Yes on the next screen. Installation may take up to 5-10 minutes.
- After the installation is complete, select Go Back then select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
- It may take a couple of minutes for your phone to boot running the Dark Knight 4 ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Dark Knight 4 custom ROM based on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich to your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.