More Android devices are receiving Android 4.1 Jelly Bean updates. Even non-supported devices can get the update via custom ROMs cooked by devoted independent developers. The Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 is part of that update list and will get the latest OS via the Slim Bean custom ROM.
XDA Developers member mnazim tells us how to flash the Slim Bean ROM on your Galaxy S. The Slim Bean 3.1 ROM is based on the vanilla-themed Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean which also packs some of the neat features you can find on CyanogenMod 10 and AOKP ROMs. The Slim Bean ROM is also one of the lightest ROMs that you can install on your mobile phone. Unnecessary features have already been removed, creating more usable storage space for users. You will also have the freedom to choose which add-ons to install with this ROM.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy S I9000 to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean via Slim Bean ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number GT-I9000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with ClockworkMod Recovery and running a CyanogenMod 9 or CyanogenMod 10 ROM. For additional help, you may refer to the following guides:
- Download the following files:
- Slim-GT-I9000-3.1.0-OFFICIAL (Slim-I9000-3.1.0-OFFICIAL.zip, sha1sum: 30fa6da34a57c17499efbc1876a8df5ef000075a)
- Slim GApps (Slim_Gapps.zip, sha1: 0d0b16d1d2b2a9e82325b67caf0d52e180c45454)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Slim Bean 3.1.0 ROM and Slim Gapps ZIP files to the phone's SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your Galaxy S into ClockworkMod Recovery. Press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until recovery boots.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe cache partition > Yes.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache > Yes.
- Go to Mounts and Storage > Format System.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the Slim Bean ROM file. Confirm the action to flash the ROM on your phone.
- Repeat steps 9 and 10 to flash the Slim Gapps package.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the Slim Bean 3.1.0 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.