Upgrade Galaxy S GT-I9000B to Android 4.0.3 ICS Firmware RC 4.2
With Ice Cream Sandwich storming Android devices left and right, it was only fair that the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000B gets its own taste. Unfortunately, this is not yet the official release of Ice Cream Sandwich from Samsung and there is no official date for when to expect one. So, until then, this release will have to tide us over.
This release of Ice Cream Sandwich is only compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000B models that have been rooted and are not network-locked. We highly discourage applying this update to phones of a different model, phones that have not yet been rooted, and phones that are network-locked.
Before upgrading your device to Ice Cream Sandwich, you’ll need a few things:
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000B
- Back up all the important information on your phone in case data is lost or corrupted during the upgrading process.
- Make sure your device has a fully charged battery to prevent it from shutting off in the middle of the upgrading process.
- Make sure that USB Debugging has been enabled on your phone. You can do this through “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging.”
- Make sure to disable any lag fixes you have on your device as they may sometimes lead to bricking the phone.
- Download the Android 4.0.3 ICS RC 4.2 firmware package for the Galaxy S GT-I9000B.
Here are the steps for upgrading your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000B to Android 4.0.3 ICS Firmware RC 4.2.:
- Download the Android 4.0.3 ICS RC 4.2 firmware package to your computer. Do not extract the ZIP file or alter it in any way.
- Connect your phone to the computer via the USB cable.
- Copy the firmware’s ZIP file into the root of your device’s SD card.
- Disconnect the cable and turn off the phone.
- Reboot the phone into Recovery Mode. You can do this by holding down the Volume Up button and the OK button while pressing the Power button.
- Once in Recovery Mode, select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset.”
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition”.
- Select “Install Zip from SD Card”, then “Choose ZIP from SD card.”
- Select the RC 4.2 ICS Android 4.0.3 firmware package ZIP file. Start the installation.
- Once the update has finished flashing, select “++++Go Back++++”.
- Select “Reboot System Now”.
Congratulations! Your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000B is now running on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich RC 4.2. You can check your current firmware version through “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version”.