The Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 was the rave two years ago, being succeeded by the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100, and now the much-talked-about and most-coveted phone, the Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Being an older phone, updates have not been made as much as for the newer phones. A number of custom ROMs based on ICS have been made, but what about ROMs based on Jelly Bean?
Thanks to Team RemICS, the Samsung Galaxy S will now be able to experience the great features of Jelly Bean through a custom ROM. This is one assurance that the Samsung Galaxy S has not been forgotten by the developer community and that this phone still is considered a mighty phone despite being released two years back.
Try the RemICS-JB ROM and have your Samsung Galaxy S bask in the greatness of a faster and smoother OS. Do keep in mind that this ROM is still in its early stage so expect several bugs and issues to be present. Soon enough, fixes for bugs and issues will be released by the developer.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S I9000 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via RemICS-JB custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number GT-I9000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running on value pack XXJW4 firmware and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the RemICS-JB ROM (RemICS-JB_1.0.1.zip, 223 MB) to your computer.
- Disable SIM lock on your phone. To do this, go to Settings > Location and Security > SIM Card Lock and make sure the check box is not ticked.
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the RemICS-JB ROM to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Home button, and the Power button together until recovery boots.
- NOTE: While in recovery, you can use the Volume keys to scroll up and down and the Power key to select options.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card and navigate to the RemICS-JB_1.0.1.zip file and select it. Confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your phone.
- Once installation of the ROM is done, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the RemICS-JB custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. How does Jelly Bean look and feel on your phone? Let us know your thoughts by leaving a comment below.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.