How to flash inverted Google Apps to the Galaxy S I9000
If you are a keen observer, you might notice that almost all Google apps have a white background or a light-colored interface. This is true on the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000, as well as on other Android phones.
The white background, the black text, and a few bright colors allow the apps to display a simple design which is easy on the eyes. Speaking out of curiosity, how would the Google apps look if we inverted their color into a dark theme?
Not all curiosity can kill but it lets you create something new and interesting. XDA Developers member xlory certainly did the latter. He inverted the colors of the Google Apps and created a nice dark-themed interface for the apps. What’s more is that having a dark display also helps in saving your battery life. The inverted Google Apps Package includes the following:
- Google Now
- Google Play Store
If you want to try out these new inverted color Google apps, continue reading the rest of this guide to learn how to flash inverted Google Apps to the Galaxy S I9000.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number GT-I9000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running an Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Check out these guides on how to flash ClockworkMod Recovery and how to flash Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM to your mobile phone.
- Download the Inverted GApps (Google Apps) package (Inverted GAPPS 07 29 2012 jelly bean.zip, md5sum: f04c13ea191ff601b5544c632a63a0fb).
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the inverted GApps package to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing the Volume Up, Home button (middle key), and Power buttons simultaneously until Recovery boots.
- NOTE: Once in Recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the inverted GApps package ZIP file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash it on your phone.
- After installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now. This will restart your mobile phone.
- If you face force close errors while opening an app, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > Application Manager.
- Tap All and locate the GApps installed on the list.
- From each GApps, tap the Clear data and Clear cache buttons.
- Reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the inverted GApps package on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. You can now enjoy dark-themed Google Apps and save some battery power.