The TouchWiz 4, MIUI 4, and stock Ice Cream Sandwich launchers are the must-have skins on your Samsung Galaxy S. You can enjoy all these three on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running an AOSP-based Android ICS custom ROM by installing WeUI ROM.
XDA Developers member nightstalk0 reveals a new ROM for your phone. WeUI ROM lets you enjoy the sought-after Android skins—TouchWiz 4, MIUI 4, and ICS Launcher—right on your Samsung Galaxy S. The ROM also offers a new touch-based installation menu, which allows you to easily wipe data, install ROM-bundled apps, and install the custom ROM.
If you want to have 3 different skins on your phone, read the rest of our guide and learn how to install WeUI ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Check out our guide on how to root the Galaxy S GT-I9000 phone running XWJW1 Gingerbread 2.3.6 firmware.
- Check out our guide on how to root the Galaxy S GT-I9000 with Android 2.3.6 XXJVU firmware.
- Your rooted Samsung Galaxy S should be running a custom ROM based on AOSP (e.g., CyanogenMod 9, MIUI 4, AOKP, etc.). You can try flashing the Codename Android ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S, if you like.
- Charge the phone’s battery to 60% or more.
- Store all files on the phone’s SD card or create a backup before flashing the ROM.
- This ROM only works with the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running an AOSP-based Android Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM.
- WeUI is currently under testing. You might experience some bugs after installing the ROM.
- Flash the ROM at your own risk. Make sure you know exactly what you are doing before using this guide. We shall not be liable for whatever damage you cause to your phone through your use of this guide.
- Download the WeUI v.0.7.5 ROM here, here, or here (TEST WeUI v0.7.5 by NightShack0.zip, 183 MB).
- Download the WeUI v.0.7.8 ROM here, here, or here (078galaxy.zip, 18.8 MB).
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to the computer using a USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded ZIP files to the phone’s internal SD card.
- Unplug your phone from the computer.
- Switch off your mobile phone.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to recovery mode. You can do that by pressing the Volume Up key, Home button (middle key), and Power button until recovery boots.
- Once in Recovery, use the Volume keys to highlight “install zip from sd card” and tap the Power button to select.
- Select “choose zip from sd card” and locate the “TEST WeUI v0.7.5 by NightShack0.zip” file. Confirm the action to begin flashing the ROM. This will also lead you to the ROM’s touch-based installation process.
- The installation menu will require you to identify your phone. Select Samsung Galaxy S.
- On the next screen, select “Wipe Data”. Tap Next.
- The next screen will show you a list of applications. Select the apps you want to install on your phone. Once you have made your choices, tap on Next.
- The next screen screen will show you a list of launchers to install on your phone. Your choices are MIUI Home (default MIUI launcher), Apex Launcher (ICS stock launcher with added features), and TouchWiz Launcher 4 (Samsung’s official ICS launcher). If you prefer, you can select all three. Tap Next once you have made your choice(s).
- The installation process will begin. A progress bar will be shown.
- Once installation is complete, tap Next to navigate to the next page.
- Select “Reboot your device now” and tap Next to restart your phone.
- Let your phone reboot to WeUI.
- Turn off your phone again.
- Reboot it into recovery mode as in step 7 and 8.
- Repeat step 9, but this time, choose 078galaxy.zip.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Select “Reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the WeUI 0.7.8 custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running an AOSP-based Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM.