The Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 was released June of 2010 and appeared for the first time in public with Android 2.1 Eclair. However, Samsung stopped the Galaxy S's updates at Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Luckily, developers from different Android development communities have provided custom ROMs based on the new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Thanks to these courageous developers, there are a several custom ROMs ramped up for the Samsung Galaxy S.
One of the recent Jelly Bean-based custom ROMs for the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 is the X-Bean custom ROM, developed by XDA Developers member XYunknown. This custom ROM is expected to be fast, reliable, and “Superfunctional.” We know that Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is promises a fast and sleek interface improvement and many other features. These features include enhanced and workable notifications, helpful information cards using Google Now, a brilliant voice-supported Google Search, and an excellent and smart stock keyboard.
Like most other custom ROMs, X-Bean is a work in progress. Some features may not operate as expected. One of these features is 3G video calling, which is only available in a stock Samsung ROM. Nevertheless, video calls through 3rd party apps, like Skype, function. Features like the FM radio and other apps may not be present, as these features are only available in stock ROMs.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S I9000 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via X-Bean ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number GT-I9000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed and running on value pack XXJW4 firmware.
- Download X-Bean 1.0 (X-Bean 1.0.zip, 217 MB)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the X-Bean ZIP file to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Turn off your Galaxy S.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S to ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons at the same time until recovery boots.
- NOTE: While in recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Wait until your phone completely creates a backup of your ROM.
- Perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu. Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card.
- Locate and select the file X-Bean 1.0.zip. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes – X-Bean 1.0.zip on the next screen.
- NOTE: Your Samsung Galaxy S will restart into recovery halfway through installation and continue to install. However, if it simply reboots but does not proceed with the installation, repeat steps 6 and 7.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Well done! You have successfully flashed X-Bean 1.0 based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean to your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000.