You’ve got to give the Android development community credit. The moment Google releases an update for its firmware, developers seize the chance and get straight to cooking something new for eager Android users. The recent IMM76K update for the Galaxy Nexus packed a few fixes together with a GSM connection fix. It didn’t take long before creators of the Elite ROM released an update as well. Based on IMM76K, the newest Elite ROM (version RC 1.2) gives Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 users a taste of the freshest Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Like all ROMs in development, Elite ROM RC 1.2 still has some bugs that need resolving. There’s currently no definitive list of bugs for this release, so if you find any, make sure to report them to the developers.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S, model number GT-I9000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running Android 2.3.x Gingerbread
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- A fully charged battery to prevent your Galaxy S from shutting down in the middle of the installation process.
- If you’ve got it enabled, disable SIM card lock. You can do this by going to Settings > Location and Security > SIM Card Lock.
- Download Elite ROM RC 1.2 (GTi9000_IMM76K_RC_1.2.zip, 126 MB) to your computer.
- Copy the Elite ROM to the root of your phone’s internal SD card.
- Turn off your Galaxy S.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons until the screen turns on.
- Once in Recovery Mode, create a Nandroid backup. Select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition.
- Select Wipe Dalvik Cache.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card and select the Elite ROM.
- Your phone will reboot in the middle of installation and then will continue installing the ROM. If it simply reboots and does not continue installing, start over from step 5.
- Select Go Back.
- Select Reboot System Now.
Enjoy your Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich in the form of the Elite ROM RC 1.2 on your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000!
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.