While everyone's going ga-ga over Jelly Bean, developers certainly haven't abandoned Ice Cream Sandwich just yet. After all, a number of stable Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs have already been established. We've seen all flavors of Ice Cream Sandwich, from bloatware to pure and now to slim and sexy. Senior XDA Developers member erikmm is bringing us the unofficial Slim ICS ROM for our Samsung Galaxy S 4G devices.
This Slim ICS ROM was built from AOSP sources with cherry-picks from the CyanogenMod and AOKP teams and packs easy to customize features via the Advanced Slim Settings (ASS) feature. It supports 5 languages, such as English, French, Italian, German and Spanish, and it has Lightning Launcher and Lockscreen Options. With so many great features, this ROM must be huge, you say? Of course not. Living up to its name, Slim ICS is only less than 70 MB large/small.
Before you get too excited to get Slim ICS on your Galaxy S 4G, there are still some bugs in the ROM. One notable bug is the inability of ClockworkMod Recovery to backup and restore, especially for CWM 6.0.x.x and onwards. USB Mass Storage is also not working.
If these bugs don't bother you, you can keep reading for our instructions on how to flash Slim ICS custom ROM on the Galaxy S 4G T959V.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S 4G, model number SGH-T959V. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S 4G SGH-T959V with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following:
- Slim ICS (GalaxyS_4g_4.2.zip, md5sum: A9FBB5CE2E767F784BC0F3383284F4D0) to your computer.
- Slim_Common package (Slim_Common.zip, md5sum: A113D2D7BF326E64E79F427089154B33) to your computer.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Slim ICS ROM and Slim Common package files to your Galaxy S 4G's internal SD card.
- Turn off your Galaxy S 4G.
- Boot into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down and, Power buttons. Once the screen turns on, you can let go of the Power button but keep holding down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons until recovery boots.
- NOTE: In Recovery, navigate using the Volume keys and select options with the Power button.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM by selecting Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Select Wipe data/factory Reset. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the GalaxyS_4g_4.2.zip file.
- Once Slim ICS has finished installing, flash the Slim_Common.zip in the same manner as in steps 6 and 7.
- Select Go back.
- Select Reboot system now.
Congratulations! Enjoy your slim, sexy Slim ICS custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S 4G SGH-T959V.