The Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 YP-G70 (international variant) has recently become the talk of the development community. XDA developer rumirand has taken the development of the Galaxy Player 5.0 to the next level with his own customized kernel capable of boosting the multimedia device in terms of speed, performance, and stability.
Simply known as rj’s custom kernel, the hack will definitely turn your Galaxy Player 5.0 into one epic powerhouse device. Numerous features have been added to the kernel, such as:
- Overclock to 1.2 GHz and undervolt capabilities (use SetCPU or another software for undervolting)
- ext4 support
- ClockWorkMod Recovery
- Custom bootanimation support
- Swap support
If you’re pumped up and excited for the kernel, continue reading the rest of this guide to install rj’s custom kernel on your Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 YP-G70.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the international variant of the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (also known as the Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 5.0), model number YP-G70. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- international variant of the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 YP-G70 or Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 5.0 YP-G70
- USB device drivers for the player installed on your PC
- A Windows PC
- Temporarily disable anti-virus tools and Samsung KIES as they are known to interrupt the installation process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. You can do this by heading to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging. Make sure that there is a check mark beside that option.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the Galaxy Player 5.0 kernel file (YP-G70-Kernel-r14.tar, 7.22 MB ) from here.
- Download Odin3 v1.7 (Odin3 v1.7.exe , 412.5 KB ) from here.
- On your PC, run Odin3 by double-clicking the Odin3 v1.7.exe file.
- Switch off your Galaxy Player 5.0.
- Boot into Download Mode. You can do this by first connecting your USB cable to your PC. Hold down the Volume Down key on your Galaxy Player 5.0 while you connect the other end of the USB cable to phone.
- On your PC, Odin3 should display the word “Added!” in the message box on the bottom left. If not, make sure that the proper drivers are installed on your PC.
- In Odin3, click the PDA tab then select the YP-G70-Kernel-r14.tar file.
- Important! Do not modify any other button except the one mentioned in this tutorial. Doing so may do irreversible damage to your device.
- Select the Start button in Odin to begin flashing rj’s kernel on your Galaxy Player 5.0.
- Once the kernel is installed, your phone should automatically reboot itself. You should see a “Pass” message written on top of Odin’s left most box.
- Disconnect your Galaxy Player 5.0 from your PC.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed rj’s custom kernel on your Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 YP-G70 also known as the Samsung Galaxy S Wi-Fi 5.0 YP-G70.