If you are into flashing custom ROMs on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-T879, you’re most likely proficient in using custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod Recovery. But, if you are interested in alternate but equally powerful custom recoveries for your Galaxy Note T879, check out TWRP Recovery.
TWRP Recovery is a different custom recovery from the usual ClockworkMod Recovery that most people use. It has a nice touch-based interface which makes it ideal even for tablets and bigger displays. It also comes with a few extra awesome features such as fast ROM backup and an onscreen keyboard.
This guide shows you how to install TWRP Recovery 2.2.0 on the Galaxy Note T879.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile Galaxy Note, model number SGH-T879. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted T-Mobile Galaxy Note SGH-T879
- For help with rooting, see our guide on how to root the T-Mobile Galaxy Note T879.
- Make sure your device’s battery still has at least 70% power. You don’t want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Install GooManager on your phone.
- If, for whatever reason, you are unable to install the app from the Google Play Store, download the GooManager APK file (GooManager_2.1.2.apk, md5sum: a6ea96ed91d369a913e2ae85ead34dc4) to your phone and manually install it. Make sure you enable “Unknown sources” in Settings > Security. You will need a file explorer or file manager app to be able to install the APK manually.
- Open GooManager on your phone. Make sure it has root access by pressing the Grant/Allow button when prompted.
- Tap the Menu button.
- Tap Install OpenRecoveryScript.
- Tap Yes.
- Tap Yes again on the next pop-up.
- Reboot your phone to complete the installation.
- Confirm that the installation was successful by rebooting into Recovery Mode: launch GooManager and tap the button for Reboot recovery.
Nice! You should now have TWRP Recovery 2.2.0 installed on your Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-T879 and ready to flash custom ROMs.