A few days ago, the international Galaxy Note GT-N7000 got a bowl of colored candy beans via a custom Jelly Bean ROM. Now, its AT&T cousin, the Galaxy Note SGH-I717, is also getting its own share of Jelly Bean thanks to XDA Developer member DAGr8, who built a Jelly Bean preview from AOKP sources. The said ROM still features the same buttery-smooth user interface, improved notification, and offline voice typing, just to name a few.
Some added features aside from Jelly Bean itself is AOKP’s lightning-fast performance and customization options that any user will surely love. It is still not perfect so we recommend that you make a backup of your ROM before flashing this AOKP Jelly Bean ROM.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy Note I717 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP Jelly Bean ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note, model number SGH-I717. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 with ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery installed. For help, see these:
- Download the following files and save them to your computer:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
NOTE: The instructions below presume that you have ClockworkMod Recovery. If you are using TWRP Recovery, the menu names and locations may be a bit different.
- Copy the ROM and GApps ZIP files and save them to your phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, and Power buttons together. When the screen turns on, release the Power button but keep the Volume key pressed until recovery boots.
- NOTE: While in recovery, use the Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your default ROM so that in case something doesn’t work out with this ROM, you can still restore your original ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore, then select Backup again to start backing up your current ROM.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the downloaded AOKP ROM and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the screen that follows. Wait for a couple of minutes for the ROM to finish installing.
- Flash the GApps package in the same manner as in step 6.
- Once the installation is complete, select Go back then select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM on your AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-I717 via AOKP custom ROM.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.