Yet another custom ROM has been released for the original Samsung phablet, which means that there are more options for us to experience Jelly Bean while we wait for the official update to roll out. As a Galaxy Note owner, I once felt dejected when the Galaxy Note 2 was released. To top the Galaxy Note 2′s great features and super processing power, the device was running Jelly Bean out of the box! If you still want to stick with your original Galaxy Note for a few more months before getting the next best thing, installing custom ROMs is the only way to go.
An official Slim Bean ROM was developed and released by XDA Developers member krarvind. This custom ROM is based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean mixed with some CyanogenMod 10 and AOKP features. Only one bug has been plaguing the ROM; the notification drawer cuts off some notifications (MMS, e-mail, etc.) at Slim DPI. Other than that, you'll be able to enjoy Jelly Bean on your Galaxy Note.
This guide shows you how to flash Slim Bean ROM for the Galaxy Note N7000.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Note, model number GT-N7000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed and running an ICS-based or Jelly Bean-based ROM. For help, check our guides:
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Slim Bean 3.0.0 ROM package (Slim-GT-N7000-3.0.0-OFFICIAL.zip, sha1: 10f901ad9d016f6358ccaf5dcf5046927b8d9041)
- Slim GApps (Google Apps) package (Slim_Gapps.zip, sha1: 0d0b16d1d2b2a9e82325b67caf0d52e180c45454)
- Make sure that your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Slim Bean 3.0.0 ROM package and the Slim GApps package to your phone's SD card.
- Switch your phone off.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until the phone boots into recovery.
- NOTE: You can use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an item or option in recovery.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Mounts and storage and select Format system. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the Slim-GT-N7000-3.0.0-OFFICIAL.zip. Select the file and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your phone.
- After installing the ROM, install the Slim GApps package in the same manner as in steps 7 and 8.
- Once installation of the Slim GApps package is done, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed Slim Bean ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Slim Bean 3.0.0 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000. Liking the ROM so far? Let us know what you loved or hated about the ROM by leaving a comment below.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.