It has been months, but the original Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 still has not received any Jelly Bean update yet. Owners are surely getting more and more impatient as other devices receive the much-awaited update. Some devices are even getting a more updated version of Jelly Bean, Android 4.1.2.
Then again, we all have another option to have our Galaxy Notes run on Jelly Bean — custom ROMs, one of which you can try is the Gubment Cheeze ROM, based on ParanoidAndroid and CyanogenMod 10 (CM10).
Thanks to XDA Developers member rasroygbiv, this ROM is up and ready for users of the AT&T Galaxy Note to try. This ROM is still under development, and some issues present in the most current versions of CM10 and ParanoidAndroid are also present. For example, the Settings menu in the Gallery app doesn't work, but apart from that, users have reported the ROM to be working great.
This guide shows you how to flash Gubment Cheeze ROM for the Galaxy Note I717.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note, model number SGH-I717. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-I717 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Gubment Cheeze v3.2b1021 ROM package and the GApps package to your phone's SD card.
- Switch your phone off.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together until the screen turns on. Release the Power button but keep pressing the Volume Up key until the phone boots into recovery.
- NOTE: You can use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an item or option in recovery.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card and navigate to the Gubment_Cheeze_v3.2-1021.zip file. Select the file and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM to your phone.
- After installing the ROM, install the GApps package in the same manner as in steps 6 and 7.
- Once installation of the GApps package is done, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed Gubment Cheeze ROM.
Awesome! You have successfully installed the Gubment Cheeze ROM to your AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-I717. Liking the ROM? If you do, let us know in a comment below.