Users of the AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-I717 now have another custom ROM to flash to their phones. This time, it is an unofficial CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM. Apart from being Jelly Bean-based, the ROM also has features that one can normally get from CM10 ROMs.
While users and owners of both the international version of the Galaxy Note and the AT&T Galaxy Note wait for the official Jelly Bean update, custom ROMs can fill in the void of waiting for the meantime. And maybe, if you liked any of the ROMs, you may even keep for daily use and take your mind off of all the waiting.
Developed and released by XDA Developers member natewiebe13, this unofficial CM10 ROM is a continuation of the work of another XDA Developers member ManelScout4Life, the man behind the Liquid Smooth Jelly Bean ROM.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy Note I717 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 (unofficial).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note, model number SGH-I717. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 with TWRP Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Unofficial CM10 ROM package for the I717 (cm-10-20121006-UNOFFICIAL-quincyatt.zip, 160 MB)
- GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, md5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7)
- See to it that your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the CM10 ROM package and the GApps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch the phone off.
- Boot into TWRP Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until the screen turns on. Release the Power button but keep pressing the Volume keys until the phone enters TWRP Recovery.
- Make a backup of your existing ROM. To create a backup, tap on Backup and slide the blue circle located at the bottom to the right.
- Go back to main recovery menu.
- Select Wipe and select Factory reset. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Dalvik cache and wait for the process to finish.
- Select Install and navigate to the ROM's ZIP file. Confirm the action to start installing the ROM to your phone.
- Once installation of the ROM finishes, install the GApps package in the same manner as in step 8.
- Select Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed ROM.
Awesome job! You have successfully installed the unofficial CyanogenMod 10 ROM to your AT&T Galaxy Note SGH-I717. How is the ROM so far?
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.