The T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-T889 is one of the most talked about devices in the Android forums this season. Not only does it have great features, it's also packed with a four-core processor that gives it the speed and efficiency any heavy user would love. Many have expressed their love for the Galaxy Note 2′s great hardware and software tandem. However, if you're looking for a way to enable tethering without changing too much of what you already have on your fabulous phablet, the Tether Edition ROM is what you're looking for.
XDA Developers member cmenard's Tether Edition ROM is based on stock firmware. The ROM is deodexed and rooted. It also comes with init.d support and is running with an unsecure kernel. The great thing about this ROM is that you can use tethering via Settings. The ROM works well, however some users have reported receiving a message from T-Mobile on their second use of tethering. MultiWindow, in addition, does not work. If you want to try this ROM out, installing it is fast and easy. Just follow the instructions provided below.
This guide shows you how to flash Tether Edition ROM for the Galaxy Note 2 T889.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2, model number SGH-T889. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-T889 with custom recovery. For help, see these guides:
- Download the Tether Edition ROM (T889UVALJ1_Deodexed_Tether_Edition_v1.zip, md5sum: 6011fa3748bafb707f85edf821319c46)
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the T889UVALJ1_Deodexed_Tether_Edition_v1.zip to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn your phone off.
- Boot into custom recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until the screen turns on.
- Note: If you're using a non-touch custom recovery, use the Volume Keys to navigate through options and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid Backup. Select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > locate and select T889UVALJ1_Deodexed_Tether_Edition_v1.zip > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Fix Permissions > Yes.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the Tether Edition ROM to your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-T889.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.