The beauty of Android is the option to go beyond the out-of-the-box experience and to truly make your device your own. The first step to doing this is to root your device. The next is to install custom recovery software so you can begin flashing all sorts of custom ROMs, mods, hacks, and tweaks.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013 is a great device, but sadly it hasn't been receiving too much developer attention. Have no fear because it does, however, have the support of Team Win, the makers of the Team Win Recovery Project.
Released by XDA Developers member Dees_Troy, TWRP for the Galaxy Note 10.1 is not perfect yet. N8013 users have had little trouble installing TWRP on their tablets but N8000 and N8010 users have experienced some trouble. Hopefully the development team will improve support for the other two tablets in the following updates. Some users have reported that TWRP may be a little finicky when using light and quick taps. You'll need to use longer and lingering taps.
This guide shows you how to flash TWRP Recovery for the Galaxy Note 10.1 N8013.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, model number GT-N8013. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013 with an unlocked bootloader
- Enable USB debugging on your tablet.
- Download the file appropriate for the flashing method you'd like to use:
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Installing TWRP Recovery using GooManager
- Download the GooManager app from the Google Play Store.
- Launch the GooManager app on your Galaxy Note 10.1.
- Tap the Menu button in the app.
- Tap Install OpenRecoveryScript.
- Tap Yes.
- Verify that the file name displays your device's code name and tap Yes.
- The TWRP Recovery file should begin downloading. Your Galaxy Note 10.1 will install the recovery automatically.
Installing TWRP Recovery using Odin
- On your computer, extract the Odin3 v3.04.exe from the Odin3_v3.04.zip file.
- Turn off your Galaxy Note 10.1.
- Boot your Galaxy Note 10.1 into Download Mode. To do so, hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons. You will see a “Warning!!” message on the tablet's screen. Press Volume Up to enter Download Mode.
- In the Odin folder, double click on Odin3 v3.04.exe to launch Odin on your computer
- Connect your Galaxy Note 10.1 to your computer via USB cable.
- In Odin, click on the PDA button and select the *.tar.md5 file.
- Note: Do not make any other changes aside from this.
- Click Start in Odin.
- When the flashing process is complete, you'll see a “PASS” message in Odin. You can now unplug your Galaxy Note 10.1.
- To test TWRP, turn off your Galaxy Note 10.1. Hold down the Volume Up and Power buttons for a few seconds. When the Samsung logo flashes the second time, release the Power button but keep holding down Volume Up until the TWRP menu appears.
Congratulations! You have installed TWRP on your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8013. What'll be the first thing you'll flash on your Galaxy Note 10.1? Let us know by leaving a comment below.