We've recently shown you how to upgrade your Sprint Galaxy Nexus to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via the EOS 3 custom ROM and now, another custom ROM has been released. It's an addition to the line-up of custom ROMs intended to make the Sprint Galaxy Nexus SPH-L700 run on a smoother and faster OS, Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. This time, Team Kang brings you an AOKP ROM based on Jelly Bean for your Sprint Galaxy Nexus.
AOKP ROMs are undeniably one of the most preferred and most used custom ROMs in several forums and threads. This custom ROM has a lot of customization options, stretching the fun even further. Hardcore Android users and enthusiasts love custom ROMs and the wide array of choices they have in further customizing the performance, look, and feel of their Android devices. If you are one of them, you must definitely try this ROM out and maybe try to compare it with other custom ROMs. This AOKP ROM is still undergoing further development, so it may still carry several issues and bugs.
In this guide, learn how to flash unofficial AOKP ROM on the Galaxy Nexus L700.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus, model number SPH-L700. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus SPH-L700 with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Touch Recovery installed. For help in meeting the mentioned requirements, check our guides:
- Your phone's USB cable
- Download the following to your computer:
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM and the GApps (Google Apps) package to your phone's SD card.
- Switch your phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Power, Volume Up, and Volume Down keys until you see “Start” on the screen. Navigate to Recovery Mode using the Volume keys and select it using the Power button to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM in case of problems. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait until the process is done.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6. (Yeah, this second round of wiping is recommended by the dev.)
- Select Install ZIP from SD card. Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the aokp_toroplus_jb-build-4.zip file and select it. Confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your phone.
- Once installation of the ROM is finished, install the GApps package in the same manner as in step 8.
- After installation, select Go back and choose Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed ROM.
Awesome! You have successfully installed the Android 4.1.1 AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on your Sprint Galaxy Nexus SPH-L700. If you have tried a another Jelly Bean-based custom ROM prior to this one, how is this ROM compared to the one you first used? Anything worth noting? Let us know your thoughts through commenting below.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.