If you are thinking of an alternative recovery for installing custom ROMs or hacks on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 (Verizon), then TWRP Recovery is for you. TWRP Recovery is becoming popular with the development community because of its ability to queue ZIP files for installation or its integrated file manager. This custom recovery can also create fast backups and restore custom ROMs and hacks.
Being a flashaholic used to mean abusing your Power button, Volume keys, and Home buttons, but not anymore. The new and improved TWRP Recovery version 2.2.0 has a touch interface, giving you the power to flash custom ROMs, mods, tweaks, and hacks with just your fingertips.
Read on to learn how to flash TWRP Recovery 2.2.0 on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus, model number SCH-I515. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies. You can also download the USB drivers from Samsung’s support page.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download Fastboot Package (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB)
- Download openrecovery-twrp-2.2.0-toro.img (md5sum: 5e739daba4bef51670384cf392641cfd).
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract the contents of the Fastboot.zip file to the C:\ drive on your computer to get the folder named Fastboot with 4 files inside.
- Copy the openrecovery-twrp-2.2.0-toro.img to the Fastboot folder.
- Turn off the phone.
- Press and hold down the Power button together with the Volume Up and Volume Down keys. You will enter Fastboot Mode where you will see “Start” in green letters. You can then connect your phone to the computer via USB cable.
- Open a command prompt on your computer.
- Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each command:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.2.0-toro.img
- TWRP Recovery will then be flashed to your mobile phone. After it finishes, you will get a “finished/OKAY” message at the command prompt.
fastboot reboot at the command prompt to reboot your phone.
- To try TWRP Recovery, switch off your Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus and boot into Fastboot Mode using the procedure given in step 3. Using the Volume buttons, scroll to the Recovery Mode option then select it using the Power button to enter TWRP Recovery.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the latest TWRP Recovery 2.2.0 on your Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.