Just after Google introduced Android 4.1 Jelly Bean at the recently concluded Google I/O 2012, a stock Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus reportedly starting circulating the Internet. This has been made possible thanks to the efforts of XDA member mmuzzy who managed to find a workaround to update the Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.
According to the developer, the ROM is already pre-rooted and is stable enough for daily use. Even the Wi-Fi was reported to work better compared to the previous version. The ROM is a stock Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean build with no other customizations. Users who are looking for customized Jelly Bean ROMs will have to wait a little longer.
Continue reading the rest of this guide to update the Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean (unofficial).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus, model number SCH-I515. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following files and save them to your computer.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the JB411_toro_signed_071012-1130.zip and Jellybean GApps files and place them on your phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Power, Volume Up, and Volume Down keys. You will then enter Fastboot Mode. Use the Volume buttons and highlight Recovery Mode and select it using the Power button.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset then select Yeson the screen that follows to confirm data wipe.
- Select Install ZIP From SD Card then select Choose ZIP From SD Card. Browse for the JB411_toro_signed_071012-1130.zip file and select it. Confirm the installation by select Yes on the screen that follows. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to complete.
- Go back to the main menu and flash the Jellybean GApps Package in the same manner in step 5.
- After the installation process is complete, head back to the main menu.
- Select Reboot System Now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.