Jelly Bean is dominating almost every Android device possible, may it be the newest or the older ones. This sort of phenomenon is mainly due to the ever hardworking developers who have never failed to bring joy to Android users who are fans of custom ROMs.
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus, both the international and Sprint variants, have been blessed with the chance to experience the cool new features that Jelly Bean has. This time, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus will be getting its fair share, too.
XDA Developers member mmuzzy has done it again, making every Galaxy Nexus owner smile from ear to ear. With the AOSP build of the Jelly Bean ROM for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515, the already awesome phone will have smoother, faster, and improved performance.
To upgrade Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean, just follow the requirements and instructions below for flashing the AOSP ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, model number SCH-I515. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 with unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- See to it that your phone's battery is charged 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Jelly Bean ROM package and the Jelly Bean GApps (Google Apps) package to your phone's SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together to enter Fastboot Mode. Select Recovery Mode using the Volume keys and select it using the Power button to reboot into Recovery Mode.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait until the process is complete.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card and select Choose ZIP from SD Card. Locate the Jelly Bean ROM file and select it. This will start installing the ROM to your phone.
- After installation is complete, install the GApps file in the same manner as in step 5.
- Select Go Back after the installation is done. Select Reboot System Now. This will reboot your phone into the newly installed ROM.
- NOTE: To enable Voice Search in Google Now, go toSettings > Language Input > Speech > Voice Search. Click onDownload Offline Speech Recognition to download the speech pack you need.
Awesome! You have successfully installed the AOSP-based build of Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.