Install MIUI 4 and Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on Samsung Galaxy Nexus Via ViciousMIUI ROM
The looks of pure Ice Cream Sandwich appear tantalizing on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but for some people, the device dons a better look if it wears the face of MIUI 4. Owing to a clean and easy-to-use user interface, MIUI is one of the world’s favorites when it comes to custom Android ROMs.
Using the freshest and latest builds from Chinese sources, DroidVicious (the ROM’s developer) took pains to port the Chinese build, translate it, and deodex it so that the rest of the Galaxy Nexus world can enjoy MIUI 4 on their handsets. MIUI, in case you haven’t heard yet, originates in China.
Based on MIUI 4, DroidVicious’ ROM is aptly called ViciousMIUI V4 and is based on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich. Most of the essential ICS features are working perfectly, save for some issues and bugs.
Get ViciousMIUI V4 up and running on your Galaxy Nexus by following the instructions in the rest of this guide.
- Root your Galaxy Nexus and install ClockworkMod Recovery. Check out our in-house guides for rooting your Galaxy Nexus:
- Charge up your phone to 100%.
- Back up your phone data.
- Download the appropriate ViciousMIUI ROM package for your Galaxy Nexus variant and save the file to your computer:
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- Copy the ViciousMIUI ROM file to your phone’s internal storage.
- Disconnect the phone from the PC.
- Turn off the phone.
- Reboot your phone to recovery mode. Here’s how to do it: hold down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until the phone boots into fastboot mode. Then, using the Volume keys, scroll to “Recovery” and press the Power button to select it.
- From the recovery menu, select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm phone reset.
- Select “Wipe cache partition” and confirm cache wiping.
- Navigate to Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache. Confirm that you want to clear the Dalvik cache.
- Return to the main recovery menu.
- Select “Install zip from sdcard,” then select “Choose zip from sdcard.”
- On the list of files, locate the ViciousMIUI ROM package that you copied to the phone earlier. Select it and confirm that you want to flash it to the phone.
- When flashing completes, select “Reboot system now” from the recovery menu.
- After the phone has booted into normal mode, leave it untouched for about 10 minutes to let the kernel settle.
- Sign in to your Google account and set up your Google credentials on your phone.
- Turn off the phone and reboot. This is done to make sure that the apps are properly set up after you have flashed the ROM.
Congratulations! You’ve loaded up your Samsung Galaxy Nexus with MIUI 4 and Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich via the ViciousMIUI V4 custom ROM.