The Galaxy Nexus is widely popular because it is the first phone to bear Google’s operating system for mobile phones: Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Yet, not a few people yearn for more than just the basic, albeit beautifully designed, interface found on the Galaxy Nexus–or, at least, a viable alternative to it.
MIUI answers to the requests of users by releasing the official MIUI.us 2.2.17 ROM for both the CDMA and GSM variants of the Galaxy Nexus. It sports a more refined Android skin and integrates many features that can be found on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, but with a look and feel reminiscent of iOS.
This installation guide will teach you how to install the official MIUI.us 2.2.17 ROM on your device. So, if you want to get hold of a new Android experience on your mobile phone, read through our step-by-step guide on how to install the MIUI 4 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
- A rooted Galaxy Nexus (either model SCH-I515 [Verizon/CDMA variant] or model GT-I9250 [GSM/global variant]) with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Check out this rooting guide for your phone.
- Backup your precious personal phone data and files.
- Disable system tools such as Samsung KIES, firewall programs, and antivirus to prevent any interruptions while installing the ROM.
- Maintain battery power of at least 70% to keep your device running while installing the ROM.
- This official ROM from MIUI still faces some issues. You will need to take out and reinsert the battery after applying themes. Also, English translation is not yet complete.
- This ROM is compatible with both CDMA (SCH-I515) and GSM (GT-I9250) variants of the Galaxy Nexus. Flashing the ROM to other handset models may cause damage.
- You will be held responsible for any damage arising from the use of these flashing instructions. Install the ROM at your own risk.
- Download the official MIUI 2.2.17 ROM from the following links:
- Hook your device to the computer via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded file to the phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your mobile device.
- Hold down the Volume Up key, Volume Down key, and the Power button simultaneously to enter Fastboot mode.
- Use the Volume Up key to highlight “recovery” and tap the Power button to boot into Recovery mode. (In Recovery mode, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.)
- Once in Recovery mode, select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select “Wipe Cache” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select “Advanced.” From there, select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select “Install zip from sd card.”
- Select “Choose zip from sd card” and choose the MIUI 2.2.17 file you copied to the phone. This will flash the ROM file in your device.
- Once installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select “Reboot system now” to reboot your device into the new MIUI 2.2.17 ROM.
Good job! You have successfully installed the official MIUI 2.2.17 ROM to your Galaxy Nexus.
Visit Dial A Phone and see the selection of all the latest handsets available to buy online. Check out the fantastic deals available today.