If you’re a huge fan of MIUI ROMs, you’d know that MIUI’s biggest appeal is not just its eye candy but also its user-friendliness. For users of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, there’s a new custom ROM based on MIUI 4, which in turn is based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Intended to provide the “ultimate” experience, the UltimateMIUI custom ROM by XDA Developers member iceandfire includes numerous tweaks that claim to improve performance and lengthen battery life. According to the developer, the ROM’s latest version includes the following features and highlights:
- Based on latest MIUI 2.3.16
- Added Franco kernel milestone 1
- Added Trebuchet launcher
- Added Nova Launcher 1.2.0
- Superuser added
- DSPManager added
- init.d support added
- Nexus One 720p boot animation added
- XenonHD wallpapers APK added
- Cache tweaks
- Kernel tweaks
- Scrolling made smoother
- systcl tweaks
- Internet tweaks
- Hardware acceleration
- Video playback quality improvement
- Battery life tweaks
As far as bugs are concerned, users have reported that the Gallery app sometimes force closes, but the developer also notes that opening the app again usually doesn’t result in a force close. Presumably, all bugs of MIUI 4 are also inherited by the ROM, considering that it is based on MIUI 4.
Check out the rest of our guide and learn how to flash the UltimateMIUI custom ROM to your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus — rooted and with ClockworkMod Recovery (See this guide or this one for help with rooting.)
- Make a back up of all the important files, contacts, call logs, SMS and Internet settings.
- Charge your battery to at least 50%.
- Download the latest version of UltimateMIUI (version 2, as of this writing):
- For Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSPA+ GT-I9250 — Download here
- For Samsung Galaxy Nexus CDMA/LTE SCH-I515 — Download here
NOTE: Use this guide at your own risk. We will not be held liable for any damage on your device as a result of following this guide.
- Copy the UltimateMIUI ROM package to the root of your phone’s SD card. Do not place the file inside any subfolder.
- Turn off your device.
- Put your device in recovery mode: hold down the Volume Down and Volume Up keys at the same time as you press the Power button. This key combination will boot the phone into fastboot mode. From the fastboot screen, press the Volume Up key two times to highlight “recovery” on the menu. Then, press the Power button to enter recovery mode. While in recovery mode, use the Volume keys for navigation and the Power button for selection.
- Make a back up of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore then select Backup on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and perform a full wipe.
- Choose wipe data/factory reset then confirm by selecting yes on the next screen.
- Choose wipe cache then select Yes.
- Choose advanced, and then select wipe dalvik cache. Confirm by selecting yes on the following screen.
- Go back to the main menu again.
- Select install zip from sdcard > choose zip from SD card and choose the file that you copied to the phone.
- After the installation is completed, select “go back” and reboot your phone by selecting “reboot system now“.
Congratulations! You can now enjoy MIUI-flavored Ice Cream Sandwich with the UltimateMIUI custom ROM running on your Galaxy Nexus.