You just have to love the things created by the hardworking developers in the XDA Developers community because they’re continuously improving our lives and end-user experience. Take, for instance, what XDA Developers member vicino has done to make the Recent Apps switcher look and function better on the Galaxy Nexus.
The native Recent Apps switcher in both Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and Android 4.1 Jelly Bean allows you to see what recent apps are running in the background and also preview their respective app screens. But, vicino has taken it further and styled it.
The modification is easy to install. It only requires flashing a package in ClockworkMod Recovery. Though intended primarily for the CyanogenMod 10-based custom ROM called AndroidME, the mod could potentially work for CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) itself or for other CM10-based custom ROMs.
In this guide, learn how to flash the Recent Apps switcher mod on the Galaxy Nexus.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus with ClockworkMod Recovery installed and running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean based custom ROM.
- For additional help, you can refer to these guides:
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Download one of the following packages (each version has a unique design):
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the mod’s ZIP file to your phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until your phone screen turns on. Select the Recovery Mode option using the Volume buttons to navigate and select it using the Power button to start recovery.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. In case something does not work in this ROM, you can easily switch back to your working ROM using the backup. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore and on the next screen, select Backup. Head back to the main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the downloaded recent apps MOD ZIP file and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the screen that follows.
- Head back to the main recovery menu by selecting Go back.
- Reboot your phone by selecting Reboot system now.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Recent Apps switcher mod on your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.